Mohawk Street, Brantford, Ontario
St Paul's, Her Majesty's Chapel of the Mohawks, Brantford, Ontario was the first Protestant church in Ontario. It was built for the Mohawks of the Six Nations Iroquois who settled here in 1784. The Mohawks had lost their lands in New York State as a result of their alliance with the British during the American War of Independence.
This chapel replaced the Queen Anne Chapel at Fort Hunter, New York built in 1712. Rev John Stuart (1736-1812) dedicated the chapel to St Paul in 1788. Rev. Stuart was first resident Anglican clergyman in what is now Ontario and was based in Cataraqui (Kingston). Before coming to Canada, he had ministered to the Mohawks at Fort Hunter for 7 years.
In 1904, the Chapel it was given Royal designation by Edward VII. St. Paul's Chapel of the Mohawks was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1981.