Christ Church was opened on 9 November 1842 as a chapel of ease for St. Thomas' Anglican Church. The original design by James Purcell, the architect and builder, was cruciform, but has been modified by a series of additions. The present tower and bell were added around 1890.
In 1930, New York film producer Varik Frissell used the interior of this church for the final scene of his historic film, The Viking, the first sound feature made in present-day Canada.
By 1966 modern transportation made the use of this chapel unnecessary and the Anglican Synod decided to demolish the building. The Newfoundland Historic Trust was formed to save the little church. The exterior was restored and the interior was renovated. Since 1971, Christ Church has had several uses, and is now a private residence.
Christ Church, Quidi Vidi, Newfoundland was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1966.